Friday, October 19, 2018

Post 7/Reading 7

This week I finished my larger piece in the series and decided on my color choices: red and various other warm colors for the flowers, and olive green for the figure. I also made a small piece, too, to test out a conceptual idea. I've been struggling to justify a conception behind these pieces because none of the quite underline what I've been trying to express in this series. I've figured out that I'm enjoying the process of not only the stippling, but also paying attention to the details of the garments and clothes that the figure is wearing. Therefore, I have come to the conclusion that the concept behind this series is not about the figure. In fact, its purpose is to focus closely on the clothes the figure is wearing. In society, we see these high paid models are wearing extravagant clothing as well as some that don't look as extravagant, but the label/brand makes the clothing exclusive. All these artists who make these looks and garments spend countless hours of time and love into the work just for society to focus mainly on those who wear the art rather than focusing solely on the artwork itself.  For example, New York Fashion week is notorious for celebrities and who is within the clothing, but the masterminds behind the work are usually afterthoughts and are muted by the media. In this series, I mask and take-away relevance of the person who is wearing the clothing, and instead focus all my attention on the artwork of the clothing itself. Attention to details such as how the drapery folds and how parts overlap and correlate to bring out the beauty of clothing no matter how extravagant or simple. 


 Larger attempt

close-up

small experimental piece



My inspiration this week is a watercolor artist named Yao Cheng. She paints mostly floral design and her technique of using blocked shapes to create value inspired me to try the approach in my artwork. The intertwining of multiple colors within the shapes are beautiful and simple at the same time.

Yao Cheng





-----------------------------------------

This week I wrote an artist manifesto. I was not expecting it to be super personal when I started but ended up really digging deep into why I look at the world the way I do, and I progressively put in some personal experiences that I'm not too comfortable sharing with the public quite yet. Therefore, I will not be posting it to my blog, and instead will show you that I have at least completed it when I come to class. 

No comments:

Post a Comment