Friday, October 5, 2018

Post 5/Reading 5

This week I was inspired by negative space. I decided to do stippling again but also apply more color, as well. My idea was to stipple the clothing of a female figure and then cut out the shapes where the rest of her body is, almost like creating a silhouette. Next, I painted the floral background in a monochromatic blue color scheme. This painting was then layered on top of a dark, maroon like red color to give the figure depth and make the negative space stand out. The concept behind this painting/stippling is about how clothing can define and reflect an individual and their personality. In this piece, the figure is wearing a white, long sleeve, linen, button-down shirt. Whenever I think about linen and these types of shirts I think of comfort and that fresh laundry smell. To create the interpretation, I painted a blue floral background to represent comfort and calmness as well as the idea of a fresh linen smell. This represents the mood and personality the clothing brings. The background is painted red to offset and contrast.

This art was inspired by Christine Kim, a cut paper collage artist who also uses negative space in her paintings. I was inspired to layer and cut out in my own painting to give it depth. I added my own style by stippling the clothing and reversed the silhouette (Kim uses the clothes as negative space, but I used the figure as negative space.


Christine Kim

My Red Silhouette


I had Cinthia to recreate the piece for. I chose to make it bigger and go more for the Russian propaganda look.

                                             



What I took from this weeks reading was that being an artist means that you are a part of something bigger than you think. Being an artist means that you reasonate with other artists and share their fear and desires when it comes to art. As artists, we all struggle finding time to create and finding our own voice and reason. Artists must keep creating work constantly in order to become successful. What I’ve learned from this reading is that I’m not alone as an artist, there is a community of artists who go through the same thing and faced obstacles just like me. Therefore, it’s okay to fail and struggle because that’s the process and it is normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment