Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Balsa Wood Small Sculptures

Focal Point


My first balsa wood sculpture represents a focal point. The materials I used were: tape, wood glue, balsa wood, and straight pins. The wood arrows and wood arcs are used as a visual path to guide your eye towards the center. In the center is a ball made of tape and is used as the focal point. To make the arc in the balsa wood, I wrapped a thin piece of balsa wood in a wet paper towel, then bent it in half, and slightly bent it to get the arch-like shape.

Pattern


This small sculpture embodies the idea of pattern. The materials I used were: paper, balsa wood, and wood glue. To make the prisms, I made a flat outline of a deconstructed hexagonal prism and used that template to cut out my patterns. Scaling the prism down a size, I made a smaller prism and repeated the same process and pattern. I used wood glue to glue it all together. To further the idea of pattern, I used the shape of a hexagon as a base made out of balsa wood. I was to have a hierarchy in my project, so I made the bigger prism be on top of the smaller one.

Texture 




This small sculpture embodies the idea of texture. The materials I used were: paper, balsa wood, straight pins, and wood glue. To create the texture on top, I used a cluster of straight pins along with cut strips of paper. On the sides, I have a cut-paper texture that also allows you to see through the sculpture. On the other wooden sides, I cut little individuals blocks and glued them in a random pattern around each other to create another texture. Overall, with the limited supplies hat I had, my goal was to create as many unique textures that I could.

No comments:

Post a Comment